Infobank

Xiamen Catholic Church

Updated: 07 Mar 2007
Share this news?...Click box   Bookmark and Share
Read more on

 

 

 

 

Christ the King Church


Christ the King Churchwas built by the Spaniards in 1917. Located at 34 Lujiao Road, Gulangyu Island, it boasts of a Gothic architectural style with beautiful interior designs. The structure occupies a land area of 220 square meters.


Hundreds of local and foreign Catholics flock to this church to attend Sunday services.

 

As one of the main tourist attractions of Gulangyu Island, it attracts more than 10,000 local and foreign tourists every year.

 

During the ‘Cultural Revolution’, church services were temporarily stopped. Services resumed during the Christmas season of 1982.

 

On April 1, 2005, the Xiamen Municipal government cited Christ the King Church as “An Important Historical Site.” As a result, the municipal government has allocated funds for its renovation on numerous occasions.

 

On May 11, 2005, the Fujian Provincial government with decree no. 164 (2005) declared it as the 6th Cultural Preservation Site in the province. The immediate surroundings of this site –- west, south, east, and north or within 15 meters of its radius must be protected.


On May 25, 2006, it was cited in China as the 6th Most Important Cultural Site that must be preserved.

 

 

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Church


Our Lady of Rosary Church was built by the Italians in 1860. It is located at 15 Cin Lu, Xiamen City with a land area of 413 square meters.

 
In 1873, the church built a building for the priests, which has a land area of 1076 square meters.

 

In 1916, the priests’ building was renovated into a Spanish office.


In 1877, the “Church of Compassion” was built. It housed 5,543 orphans and abandoned babies from 1877-1951. Since 1952, the Kai He Primary School has been occupying the compound.

 

In 1915, Zheng Yi Primary school was founded. Unfortunately, its operations had to be stopped due to the aftermath of the Japanese Occupation and the subsequent economic crisis in the city.

 

In 1920, the construction of Xiang Shan Hotel began.

 

In 1943, Ruo De Hospital was built and for many years was run by a Filipino-British director. It eventually became the Kai Yuan District Hospital in 1958.

 

Xiamen Catholic Church played an important role in the region. It was the center of catechetical activity for the Minnan, Putian, Taiwan and Jinmen districts.. From 1883 to 1913, Taiwan and Jinmen catechetical administrations were under its jurisdiction.

 

Services

Eucharistic Celebrations

 

Weekdays 07:30AM Xiamen Church Minnanhua
Saturdays 06:15PM Xiamen Church Mandarin
Sundays 08:30AM Gulangyu Church Mandarin
  10:00AM Gulangyu Church English

.

.

Other Services

  • Matrimony
  • Confession
  • Anointing of the Sick
  • Confirmation
  • First Communion
  • Baptism
  • Counseling
  • Spiritual Direction

By appointment

Contact the Parish Office: Tel: +86 592 206 6150

 

 

Christ the King Church

No.34, Lujiao Road

Gulangyu Island
Xiamen City
361001 PRC

Tel: +86 592 206 6150
E-mail:
xmctkp@gmail.com

 

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Church

No.15, Ci AnRoad
Xiamen City
361002 PRC

Tel: +86 592 205 4501
E-mail:
xmctkp@gmail.com
 
 
Share this news?...Click box   Bookmark and Share
Comments Area ( Total Comments: 0 )